Make sure you get your test (simple blood test) done to know where you stand. If you have a family history of high cholesterol, you may require medicine to lower your numbers to non-dangerous levels.
Here are the components of cholesterol (also called Lipids):
1. HDL (The Good cholesterol–I call it ‘Happy’ so you can remember ‘H’ DL cholesterol is the good stuff)
- Normal HDL for Men > 40; Women > 50
2. LDL (The Bad cholesterol–I call this ‘Lousy’ so you can remember ‘L’ DL cholesterol is the bad stuff)
- Normal LDL ranges from 100-130 in most people. Lower is better for people with heart disease (see below).
3. Triglycerides (Fats particles essentially)
- Normal triglycerides < 150
*** For people that don’t have cardiovascular disease the goal range for cholesterol is below. If one has had a heart attack, stroke, high cholesterol [inherited or acquired (ie poor diet with fried foods and high in saturated and trans fats], then the LDL goal changes. If one has had a heart attack, stroke, high cholesterol, the LDL goal is lower than above– more like 70or pretty close to it.
Ask your cardiologist what the right goal range is for you!
The Good, the Bad and the Triglycerides….. coming soon at a doctor’s office near you 🙂
Know your numbers! Know your goal!